Chess Opportunities Around Town

Sign Up Here for Chess Tournament Mailing List

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Meeting #6

Edited Report from Mrs. G:

================

Hi, Coach!

Things went fine today. We started with some printouts of chess problems, which the boys liked. I kept copies for the rest of the group as we had a small turnout today.

They said they’d like to have more of the problems. Some of these were reported as “too easy” but others found them harder. I tried to get them to work independently and only share answers after someone was stymied. They tended to compete to see who got them done first, but they were thinking. We also did a problem where they had to reach a draw. They all were good at coming up with checkmates, but not the draw concept was harder (I didn’t think to emphasize who was moving and who needed the draw).

Overall, they did pretty good for a group that has been in school all day!

Attendence:
Connor
C.J. (Christian)
Nick
Jacob
Jonathon
Croix

I think we can do chess this way if you aren’t there. After we did some work sheets, I showed them how to play some chess variations Croix and I learned (Queens and Pawns; Kings and pawns) and we played a few games of those before playing real games. They got a little silly at the very end, but I reminded them that they were setting an example for Croix.

Peace,
Katy

No comments: